• Announcements

• Administrator

First time? - Click Here   04/10/2017

Welcome to Brain Scholars! Brain Scholars is an online community platform dedicated to promoting intellectual discussion around matters of the brain and mind amongst academics, professionals and the public.Registration is free and easy, but you may also post in our forums as a guest, without registering.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest discussions we post regularly to Twitter and Facebook,
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Freud

Was the psychodynamic approach trying to be scientific?

Rate this topic

Guest Freud   
Guest Freud

At college, I was told that one of the biggest failures of Freud's PD model was that it wasn't scientific, and this still a major issue to date against the mode. My question is was it actually trying to be scientific in its 'treatment' or is that just something it lacks naturally because of its approach?

Putto    10

I don't think so, but the approach was established by a clinician so perhaps he was trying to determine a scientific basis of the unconscious. I do understand your point however, although, I don't think it can be a critique that can be put to one side. Treatments these days tend be evidence based. PA cannot be proven via scientific approaches very well, and can only use case studies in support of its claims of success, which even those are not always demonstrating that it works for everyone. 

999    10
On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Guest Freud said:

At college, I was told that one of the biggest failures of Freud's PD model was that it wasn't scientific, and this still a major issue to date against the mode. My question is was it actually trying to be scientific in its 'treatment' or is that just something it lacks naturally because of its approach?

To compete in the world of science and quantification, I think people need it to be measurable and scientific for it to share the same platform as the other therapies that a backed and developed to have a scientific purpose.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this