• Announcements

• Administrator

First time? - Click Here   04/10/2017

Welcome to Brain Scholars! Brain Scholars is an online community platform dedicated to promoting intellectual discussion around matters of the brain and mind amongst academics, professionals and the public.Registration is free and easy, but you may also post in our forums as a guest, without registering.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest discussions we post regularly to Twitter and Facebook,
Tony

Want to get out of research area

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I've been working as an RA in the last few years and somehow have found myself working within trials to do with old age disease - dementia and Parkinson's. I pursued the job because I needed work and was willing to accept anything. I've been here for a year or so, and concerned that if I spend longer here I will develop too much familiarity with old age diseases and won't be able to pursue something I am more interested in. 

Do I start looking elsewhere and wait for the right job to come along, or just take anything else to get out of this even if that something else is loosely related to something I want to do?

No point finding something else and then leaving that one too when I finally come across something you want to do. My advice is to look for other jobs whilst you are currently employed and do some brushing up of skills on the side on evening and weekends in areas you want to pursue so when the time does come along you haven't been out of touch with your interests for too long to not know what is what.

On 2017-7-15 at 1:05 PM, Tony said:

I've been working as an RA in the last few years and somehow have found myself working within trials to do with old age disease - dementia and Parkinson's. I pursued the job because I needed work and was willing to accept anything. I've been here for a year or so, and concerned that if I spend longer here I will develop too much familiarity with old age diseases and won't be able to pursue something I am more interested in. 

Do I start looking elsewhere and wait for the right job to come along, or just take anything else to get out of this even if that something else is loosely related to something I want to do?

You need to think about your financial situation too. Are you able to step out a job and pursue something voluntary closer to what you want?

Most people would stay where they are. It can take 3 to 6 months to look for work elsewhere and even then there's no guarantee where you want to go, is where you will end up.