• Announcements

• Administrator

First time? - Click Here   04/10/2017

Welcome to Brain Scholars! Brain Scholars is an online community platform dedicated to promoting intellectual discussion around matters of the brain and mind amongst academics, professionals and the public.Registration is free and easy, but you may also post in our forums as a guest, without registering.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest discussions we post regularly to Twitter and Facebook,
Cognitive

Skills sought after in employment

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying to enter a more senior research position within academia, moving away from RA positions. I haven't been successful in job interviews - I've been to about 3 so far. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I don't have the skills required to take up more senior posts than what I've already been doing - how does someone make this jump?

Depends what you want to go into? 

The people that I know spend enough time doing RA posts to realise that academia wasn't for them. They went into private sector, working in areas completely out their prior profession such as project management, IT etc. Some people went into similar areas like pharma or went into senior roles like project management in related fields. However, I do think much of it was money motivated. Once they got onto the RA ladder, they realised how excellent it was to be paid after graduation and pursued something with better salaries whilst not taking too much time to think about the career or the field they were going into.

Mind you, psychology is a diverse area anyway, you could go into any of the above after graduation, but it's uncommon to do so after spending multiple years as an RA in academia