• Announcements

• Administrator

First time? - Click Here   04/10/2017

Welcome to Brain Scholars! Brain Scholars is an online community platform dedicated to promoting intellectual discussion around matters of the brain and mind amongst academics, professionals and the public.Registration is free and easy, but you may also post in our forums as a guest, without registering.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest discussions we post regularly to Twitter and Facebook,
Cognitive

Is artificial intelligence where it is at?

Rate this topic

Cognitive    10

I've been working in general academia for many years, and have accidently ended up on drug trials. I haven't got a PhD and haven't been too keen on embarking on a half a decade journey to get one since I don't know if I want to stay on in this field.

Something I have been thinking about is shifting careers into AI. I think this is up and coming and would like to move into a line of work which I think I will enjoy a lot more. Given the skills most psychology graduates end up with after degrees and several years of working.

WR035    10

I agree. We're living through a technological revolution. Our children and grandchildren may ask us many decades from now how it was like to grow up during these years where there has been a spike in technology companies, social media and the way we do things as a civilization. 

I'm too far into my career to change now, but I would just ask you to do your research and make sure you have a genuine interest in what ever you might go into

J1mmy    10
1 hour ago, Cognitive said:

I've been working in general academia for many years, and have accidently ended up on drug trials. I haven't got a PhD and haven't been too keen on embarking on a half a decade journey to get one since I don't know if I want to stay on in this field.

Something I have been thinking about is shifting careers into AI. I think this is up and coming and would like to move into a line of work which I think I will enjoy a lot more. Given the skills most psychology graduates end up with after degrees and several years of working.

I have a love for computer science and programming. When I went to do my UG at the time, there was no social media and there wasn't such an awareness into the importance of programming as there is now where in some places they're teaching it in schools. If I could go back I'd certainly choose CS over psychology because there's so much more potential in building a strong career out of it. Jobs are widespread and as said above the younger generation is fortunate to be living in this era.

Bobby    10

I don't want to sound old fashioned, but it depends what YOU enjoy doing. If you've become to like AI, then do some research and workout if you want to jump ship. The rest of us are still very much into the behavioural sciences which has also expanded and contributed significantly. It might not be in the news a grate deal, or pop up on viral videos, but progress is being made.

J1mmy    10
On 30/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, Bobby said:

I don't want to sound old fashioned, but it depends what YOU enjoy doing. If you've become to like AI, then do some research and workout if you want to jump ship. The rest of us are still very much into the behavioural sciences which has also expanded and contributed significantly. It might not be in the news a grate deal, or pop up on viral videos, but progress is being made.

Sound advice. It's very cliche to talk about passion and you, but it's worth spending the time trying different things and understanding your own personality as to what you want to do.

Guest 0123   
Guest 0123

My friend transitioned from a nothing-degree into programming and has already exceeded my pay salary in academia. We both graduated around the same time give or take a year or two for our further studies. He is enjoying company cars, flexible working hours, much higher base salary and attractive work related benefits.

It has made me question my whole career plan. I can still chop and change but the prospect of being a fairly low grade salary at least for another 3 years or so is very off putting. The AI and machine learning movement is real! And I feel like us in academia are going to face an uncertain future in the coming decades

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.