• Announcements

• Administrator

First time? - Click Here   04/10/2017

Welcome to Brain Scholars! Brain Scholars is an online community platform dedicated to promoting intellectual discussion around matters of the brain and mind amongst academics, professionals and the public.Registration is free and easy, but you may also post in our forums as a guest, without registering.  If you'd like to keep up with the latest discussions we post regularly to Twitter and Facebook,
BigBoss

Issue of learning SPSS and R

Rate this topic

BigBoss    10

Since my graduation I have realised how SPSS, which I was taught to use at UG and MSc is now becoming out dated. I want to know whether anyone else has experience this in their pursuits in the working world? I'm a little disappointed that I will need to invest a substaintial amount of time to learn something like Stata or R which appear to be the up and coming market leaders in statistical software.

Bobby    10

SPSS was purchased by IBM sometime in the last decade. Prior to that I agree it used to be taught at most institutions - if not all as the main package. Yes, R and others have come about for a number reasons. Some of them might be related to the fact that they are open source - no costly license fees, easier to maintain and more powerful.

R for instance requires more time in learning the programming aspect. One might argue however that students need to learn how to program anyway as we are in a technological revolution. It's a very good skill to have.

Cognitive    10
14 minutes ago, Bobby said:

SPSS was purchased by IBM sometime in the last decade. Prior to that I agree it used to be taught at most institutions - if not all as the main package. Yes, R and others have come about for a number reasons. Some of them might be related to the fact that they are open source - no costly license fees, easier to maintain and more powerful.

R for instance requires more time in learning the programming aspect. One might argue however that students need to learn how to program anyway as we are in a technological revolution. It's a very good skill to have.

I need to second the bit about programming.

What is also becoming more prevalent is employers looking for candidates with proficiency in programming might be related to the experiment.For instance I recently apply for position And they wanted programming knowledge in Matlab. Which I thought was too to ask for a junior research role in the lab. Similarly I have come Across positions which would require programming abilities for experiments.

In a nutshell, understanding how to program in Python won't be a waste of time.  

Bobby    10

Programming in general is a long-term learning activity, it's much like learning a new language. If you don't need Python yet cut down the amount of hours you'd spend learning it. Learn R instead if you're going to be using it more nearer in the future.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.